Sunday School: Cooking and Nutrition
Cooking and Nutrition
The topic of this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class will help during the holiday times for cooking different meals but staying healthy.
Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many other courses available. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- Cooking and Baking 101
- "Cooking and baking are the kinds of activities that most people assume are second nature. After all, we're humans, and our most basic need is to supply ourselves with nutrition. Perhaps you never had enough time to really apply yourself to the task. Maybe you're just scared of not knowing what to do. The good news is, it's never too late to start, no matter what your background may be. The most important thing to take with you into the kitchen is a basic understanding of what to do and how to do it. This course is designed to give you just that. You will learn everything from what supplies you need for getting started to reading recipes and planning meals."
- Pie Baking 101
- "Treat family and friends to a precious memory by serving a mouth watering just-out-of-the-oven baked homemade pie. The step-by-step instructions presented in this course are easy to follow and understand. Beginning with a brief history of the pie world, methods to prepare the pie crust- the base of the pie- are illustrated. The Pie crust recipe is followed by easy and delicious pie recipes that are categorized under Main dish pie, Sweet pie, Fruit pie, Holiday pie, Nut pie, Ice-cream pie, and Custard pie. This course will also include website resources that provide additional and exceptional varieties of pie recipe."
- Italian Cooking 101
- "How often have you eaten out at an Italian restaurant and wished you could re-create those same fantastic meals at home? This course will teach you just that--how to cook great Italian appetizers, entrées and desserts in your own kitchen. With Cooking Italian 101 you will learn the basic techniques, but you will also learn how to prepare some of the most popular and delicious recipes you enjoy when eating out."
- Tex-Mex Cooking 101
- "The course begins with a look at the history of Tex Mex cuisine, where it came from and how it is influenced by cultural and geographical factors. From Lesson 2, the real fun begins with a range of recipes that will in turn challenge and surprise you with their unique combinations of ingredients. While many of the recipes make great use of chillies and spices, many of them can be made milder to suit every taste so there really is something for everyone here, from those who love things hot, hot, hot... to children and those who can't quite handle the heat! Each lesson has around 3 recipes to try, ranging from side dishes and snacks to more involving recipes for whole meals."
- Nutrition 101
- "Improve your health and your life through nutrition and exercise. Create nutrition and health goals to motivate you to become a healthier you. Make meaningful, lasting changes to your diet that last. Review the digestion process and how our body would digest some pizza. Learn some real benefits of eating plenty of fruits and vegetables. Incorporate healthy nutrition and exercise habits in your routine so that you can be healthier, have more energy, and feel great!"
Classes available through Universal Class are free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards. There are over 500 different courses available. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!