Sunday School: Small Business
The topic of this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class will help people with just a few of the many classes that you can use to help you with small business and leadership in the workplace.
Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many other courses available. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- How to Write a Business Plan
- "A well written business plan takes time, patience, detail, research, and a right approach to presentation. This course will walk you through the process of writing your business plan. You will learn why certain details are vitally important, which parts of your business plan can make or break your finance query with investors, and how to sharpen your public presentation of your company and its business. You will also learn some writing tricks to help you create a polished written plan without necessarily having to hire someone to write it for you. At the end of this course, you should have enough information to make a well informed effort in writing your business plan"
- Constructive Feedback and Criticism
- "This is a course on giving and receiving feedback and constructive criticism. It first takes the student through a range of relevant concepts in interpersonal communication to provide a theoretical backdrop to the practical issue of giving and receiving feedback and constructive criticism. Because this is such a sensitive area of communication, attention is paid to numerous components of communication that lead in to this specific communication exchange. By the end of this course, the student should be equipped to provide quality, non-offensive feedback and constructive criticism that takes into account the sensitivity of these communication exchanges for the recipient."
- Running Effective Meetings
- "This course on running effective meetings trains professionals to understand the correct approach to planning, conducting, and participating in business meetings. This course will show how to send proper meeting notices, design powerful agendas, and how to make use of technology to become more efficient. This shows how to effectively navigate each individual and lead them achieving the goals of the meeting and organization."
- Small Business Guide
- "Starting and operating a business is a minefield of rules and regulations. The regulations set in the moment you decide to start your own business. You need to get licenses and permits from the authorities. There are restrictions on the type of business you can operate in a neighborhood. Tax and employee regulations are perhaps the most strictly enforced regulations. Non-compliance can even lead to cancellation of the business license and at times, imprisonment. This course will guide you on the main requirements of the regulations so that a business can develop a strategy for compliance. This course will also provide guides on how to protect the intellectual property of the business , the types of insurance a business must generally have in place, and sources of funding."
Classes available through Universal Class are free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards. There are over 500 different courses available. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.