Sunday School: Reading
With this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class we will help you or people you know with reading skills. Classes available through Universal Class are free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards.
Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many other courses available. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- Speed Reading 101
- "Speed reading provides you with the tools and information you need to improve not only the speed that you read, but your comprehension and concentration as well. Speed reading will also provide you with effective tools that you can use when you're in a pressure reading situation.
Many people believe that speed reading requires months of training and that you need to work with someone specialized in speed reading. However, with just a few minutes of practicing each day, you are able to improve your reading level, improve your reading rate and comprehension, all on your own."
- Building Children's Reading Skills
- "This course will provide the learner with a better understanding of the underlying concepts needed to improve the reading skills in children and adults. Through readings, lessons, quizzes and independent explorations, the learner will leave the course with more complete understanding of the development of reading skills from preschool through adulthood and begin to be able to think about specific strategies which could be utilized to increase the skills and development of anyone's reading."
- Reading Comprehension 101
- "Whether you are a student who is seeking to pass the reading comprehension portion of standardized tests or you need to improve your reading comprehension for work or for other personal reasons, this course is for you. You will learn the best way to approach a variety of reading materials and how to improve both your comprehension and speed when reading those materials. Reading is power. Learning to read faster, more accurately, and with greater comprehension is a skill that you need in today's competitive world."
- How to Teach Reading Fundamentals
- "Reading may be achieved through a variety of methods and techniques that best suit individual learners and students of all ages and levels. This reading basics course is designed to help students increase their reading speed as well as their ability to comprehend content, directions, and absorb materials for retention. Whether a student is taking this course to increase reading skills as a second or foreign language or by native English speakers wishing to increase their comprehension of a wide variety of materials, students will be introduced to different techniques and materials to do so."
There are over 500 different courses available. If these courses are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class to find something you else. With so many free classes available, you're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.