Sunday School: Business Writing
With this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class we will help you improve your skills for the job with some sample courses on business writing. Classes available through Universal Class are free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards.
Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many others are available. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- Business Writing Basics
- "We live in a world where communication is paramount to survival. In a work environment where communication is equated with the professionalism and efficiency of an individual, would you jeopardize your career because of bad writing? Do you want the embarrassment of sending out a poorly written email to your peers? Can you risk sending out badly written communications to customers and putting your company's reputation on the line? Of course not, no one aspires to be a bad writer. No one wants to communicate badly.
This course will also give you insights into your reader's mind. Who are they? What do they want? How can you effectively reach out to them?"
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing
- "Without effective Advertising copy, consumers are oblivious to the product or service's existence…or, worse, notice it in a negative light. A savvy sales professional may be able to initiate a sale through mere spoken words, but without well-written sales materials to back them up, such sales will be few, and the company ‘dies on the vine' for lack of income. Proper business writing can, and should, combine these three elements. We will show you the words to use, and as many formats as possible. "
- Technical Writing 101
- "Technical writing is the art and science of translating technical information into readable, accessible writing usable by a wide audience. If you have ever read the user's manual for a piece of software or equipment you've purchased, you've seen technical writing in action. Creating manuals, help and technical support systems, online help systems, and instruction manuals are some of the main projects technical writers take on.
We'll talk more about the kinds of products technical writers get involved in, and discuss the kinds of skills that successful technical writing requires. We'll talk about ways to approach and organize a technical writing project, and look at the kinds of materials technical writers produce, from written manuals to video tutorials. For those looking at technical writing as a new career, we'll discuss ways of improving your skill set, getting training, making contacts, and breaking into the field."
- Writing Improvement 101
- "We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're interested in improving your basic writing beyond correct grammar and punctuation, this course will help you. The more you write, the more confidence you will have in your abilities as a writer.
The best grammar and punctuation in the world can still produce average or even poor writing if you don't know how to use the sentences properly or which type of sentence works best to get your point across. This course is designed to give students the most flexibility and independence. You set your own schedule and learn at your convenience."
There are over 500 different courses available. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.