Sunday School: Teacher Tools
Every profession has professional development, and we can help teachers with theirs. This week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class has various teacher tools to help you in your classroom. Classes available through Universal Class are free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards.
Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many others available. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- Autism Spectrum Disorders for Teachers
- "This is an overview of autism spectrum disorders for teachers and paraprofessionals. We will examine the psychological, physiological, social, and educational characteristics of individuals who have been identified as having autism, pervasive developmental disorder, Rett's disorder, Asperger's syndrome and childhood disintegrative disorder."
- Bullying in Elementary School 101
- "Bullying is an issue that touches virtually all schools across the nation. Even at the preschool and elementary levels it is a major source for concern. Many parents and educators around the country are at a loss for what to do about the problem, as it continues to plague our nation's youth. That's where this course comes in! This bullying course is chock-full of the research that has been conducted on bullying, as well as the tools that people need in order to be successful at preventing and addressing the issue. This course covers all about what bullying is, the impact it has on children, who bullies and why they do it, how to deal with a bully, how to teach children kindness and compassion, how to stand up to a bully and why it's so important, ways to talk to children about bullying, self-esteem matters, understanding feelings and working through them, how to help shy children to blossom, and more."
- Middle and High School Bullying 101
- "This course you can help you learn what you can do to help prevent, and even eliminate bullying at your school, in your community, and beyond. This comprehensive course will share with you some of the tragic stories that have made the headlines regarding bullying. Through these stories you will learn about what bullying is, how often it happens, how far of a reach the problem is, and who the bullies are."
- How to Be a Substitute Teacher
Substitute teaching can be a rewarding profession for people looking to make a difference in children's lives and to leave a positive impact in their communities. It is also a job that allows someone a flexible work schedule and the ability to work just about as much or as little as they want to. However, there are many questions and concerns that someone may have when thinking about working as a substitute teacher. This course will walk any prospective substitute teacher through the beginning thoughts of the profession all the way to how to handle that first day with the students. Potential substitute teachers will learn the benefits and challenges of substituting, the characteristics of effective substitute teachers, how to find out minimum requirements and qualifications, how to apply for jobs, important things to know, details of what to expect in a day of substituting, techniques for managing student behavior, and the future outlook of substitute teaching."
There are over 500 different courses available. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.