Mango Monday: Ukranian
For this week's Mango Monday we will present Ukranian.
Ukranian is a Slavic language that is similar but not exactly the same as Russian. There are currently about 43 million native speakers located primarily in the Ukraine, and in Ukranian populations around the world. It uses the Cyrillic alphabet as the writing system, which is derived from Greek. Though some letters will look very different from the Latin alphabet we know, the letters and sounds are easy to learn.
There are many reasons that someone would want to learn Ukranian. Mango describes it nicely here:
The nation of Ukraine is forever evolving a sense of identity separate from that of its Soviet past. Your knowledge of this language and culture will make it easy for you to take in astounding facts about Kyiv, the city’s breathtaking capital filled with historic churches and trees, or even the cozy and peaceful town of Lviv, just outside the beautiful western hills.
All conversational languages give you different language skills and situations to practice (Making Friends, Shopping, etc). Here is the first lesson about asking for new vocabulary you can learn from Unit 2, Chapter 6: How do you say..?.
- F: I would like to learn some new words in Ukranian. Я б хотіла вивчити кілька нових слів українською.
- F: Please speak to me in Ukranian. Будь ласка, розмовляйте зі мною українською.
- M: Yes, of course. Так, звичайно.
- F: What will this word be in Ukranian? Як буде це слово українською?
- M: That is a book. Це є книга.
- F: Can you say that again? Ви могли б це ще раз сказати?
- F What's so funny? Що тут такого смішного?
- F: Is my Ukranian so bad? Моя українська така погана?
- M: You speak practically faultlessly. Ви говорите майже бездоганно.
Ukranian is available through both Mango Languages and Pronunciator. Each language product has different interfaces, and some will work better for you depending on what you want to get out of your language experience. Don't forget to take advantage of each product's mobile apps for language learning on the go!
Next Monday we will be back with a new language you can teach yourself with resources from your library.