Mango Monday: Italian
For this week's Mango Monday we will present Italian.
Italian is in the Romance language group with French and Spanish. For many, Italian is the language of food, history and culture. Mango creators write:
There is something special and unique about Italian culture and language. Bits and pieces of this language are deeply interwoven throughout our own culture, and they pop up in everyday life. From Italian cars and fashion to wonderful cuisine, everybody has a soft spot for this rich and passionate culture.
Classically trained singers often start with Italian as the first foreign language because of its sound lends itself easy to singing long, pure vowels. Italian is considered a relatively easy one for a native English speaker to learn. Italian also has the benefit as most other European languages of using the Latin alphabet, so a new learner won't have to learn an entirely new script to read it.
If you thought Italian was confined only to Italy, you'd be wrong! Italian has 195 million native speakers in Italy, Switzerland, San Marino, Vatican City, Malta, Slovenia, Croatia, Eritrea, Somalia, and France, especially Corsica. That does not include all the speakers in countries around the world who have learned Italian as their family's heritage language.
All conversational languages give you different language skills and situations to practice (Making Friends, Shopping, etc). Mango's Italian course has a few extra lessons that make it extra special. Here is the first lesson about describing things and events you can learn from Horse Race in Siena, Italy.
- Quick! The pageant starts! Veloce! Inizia il corteo storico!
- Oh gosh, how beautiful are the flag-wavers' costumes. They are all different. Oh cavoli, che belli i costumi degli sbandieratori! Sono tutti diversi!
- And how great are the drummers! E che bravi i tamburini!
- Now the race starts! Adesso parte la corsa!
- Oh, no. It's a false start! Ah no, è una falsa partenza!
- Now they have started for real. Let's see who wins! Ora sono partiti sul serio! Mo vediamo chi vince!
- The ward of the Goose won! Ha vinto la contrada dell'Oca!
Finnish is available through both Mango Languages and Pronunciator. Each language product has different interfaces, and some will work better for you depending on what you want to get out of your language experience. Don't forget to take advantage of each product's mobile apps for language learning on the go!
Next Monday we will be back with a new language you can teach yourself with resources from your library.