Mango Monday: Spanish
Spanish (Soccer Celebration)
For this week's Mango Monday we will present Spanish.
Spanish is one of the major world languages in terms of native speakers and those who learn it as a second language. It is familiar to many people who don't know it simply because it is in music, television and movies. That familiarity plus a lot of borrowed vocabulary makes Spanish a great language for English speakers, especially Americans to learn. Another very convenient feature of Spanish is that it is written phonetically, so that the words are pronounced as they are written.
We have featured Spanish before as part of our romance collection in February, but we'll look at it again especially in conjunction with the recent FIFA Women's World Cup. So here are some of the phrases from the very special Spanish lesson Soccer Celebration.
Please note, this lesson can be found in the section for Spanish spoken in Spain, not Latin America.
- Honey, tonight I am going to watch a match with my buddies. Cariño, esta noche voy a ver el partido con mis colegas.
- Who's playing? Don't tell me it's a second division match. ¿Quién juega? No me digas que es un partido de segunda división.
- Quarterfinals of the King's Cup. Cuartos de final de la Copa del Rey.
- Ah, yes, I saw it on TV. But when are we going to eat with my parents? Ah sí, lo vi en televisión. Pero ¿cuándo vamos a comer con mis padres?
- Any other day. But not this Saturday because there is a Madrid-Barcelona match. Cualquier otro día. Pero no este sábado, porque hay un partido Madrid-Barça.
- You are watching soccer all day but have never won anything in a soccer gamble! ¡Estás viendo fútbol todo el día, pero nunca as ganado nada en una quiniela!
- My love, in two weeks the season is over, and we will do everything you want. Mi amor, en dos semanas se acaba la temporada y haremos todo lo que tú quieras.
Spanish is available through both Mango Languages and Pronunciator. Each language product has different interfaces, and some will work better for you depending on what you want to get out of your language experience. Don't forget to take advantage of each product's mobile apps for language learning on the go!
Next Monday we will be back with a new language you can teach yourself with resources from your library.