Sunday School: Legal Studies
Law and Legal Studies
With this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class we will help you meet some of your legal information needs. Classes available through Universal Class are free to patrons who hold Beauregard Parish library cards.
Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many others available. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- Legal Terminology 101
- "Legal questions come up regularly in our daily lives and the language of law is everywhere. Legal Terminology 101 is a comprehensive guide to the language of the legal system. If you're planning on purchasing a house, involved in a landlord-tenant dispute, making a will, buying a car, getting health insurance, applying for a credit card or hiring a lawyer then understanding the terminology of the contracts, forms and systems is vital for a successful outcome."
- Legal Secretary 101
- "This course is designed both for those who are already in the field and want to hone their skills in order to demand a higher income and for those who wish to enter the field but are not sure where to start or what aspects of secretarial work are important to be hired by a good firm. There are numerous areas of law that those in the profession may focus on whether it be litigation, divorce, real estate or criminal law. This course will cover each prevalent area so that you might get a better idea of which is best for you to pursue. It will also tell you about what skills are vital for winning that prized position you are after, or making yourself more valuable to the attorney or firm you are currently working for."
- Contract Law 101
- "Every time you trade an item, attend a sporting event or buy a soda, you enter the world of contracting. When an exchange is made willingly a contract exists. But do you know how US law interprets and enforces contracts? We've designed an introductory course to help you understand the components, processes, and legal impacts of contracts."
- Employment Law Fundamentals
- "This course will discuss all the necessary information you need to know about employees and independent consultants, what benefits you are responsible for, taxes, discrimination issues, unionization, and workplace safety. You will learn the ins and outs of how to advertise a job position, and how to effectively interview so that your hiring process goes smoothly. Learn good evaluation techniques and how to resolve problems before they become really big issues. However, not everyone is in the right place, and you may have to terminate someone from your employment, and this class will help you to do it the right way."
There are over 500 different courses available. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.