Mango Monday: Irish
In honor of St. Patrick's Day on March 17, this week's Mango Monday will be about our offerings for Irish.
Irish is a language spoken as a first language by an estimated 280,000 people on the island of Ireland, and it is spoken as a second language by 1,065,00 more people. If you're interested in this language, you can make it a second language by 1,065,001!
Irish is an Indo-European language as English is, but it is a Celtic language family that also includes Scottish. Written Irish uses the Latin alphabet, which will help new learners.
The St Patrick's Day Mango lesson will start you off with some fun. You can learn these phrases and many more
- Hello, how are you? Dia duit, cén chaoi a bhfuil tú?
- Hello! Dia is Muire duit!
- Well, thanks, and yourself? Go maith, go raibh maith agat, agus tú féin?
- I am quite well. Tá mé go measartha.
- My name's Thomas. Tomás atá orm.
- What's your name? Cén t-ainm atá ort?
- I'm Deirdre. Is mise Deirdre.
- Well, goodbye. Bhuel, slán agat!
- Goodbye. Slán leat!
Irish is available through both Mango Languages and Pronunciator. Each language product has different interfaces, and some will work better for you depending on what you want to get out of your language experience. Don't forget to take advantage of each product's mobile apps for language learning on the go!
Next Monday we will be back with a new language you can teach yourself with resources from your library.