Sunday School: Cooking and Baking
Cooking and Baking
With this week's edition of Sunday School with Universal Class we will highlight a few of the Cooking and Baking classes that you might take to have great treats before and after Lent.
Here are some sample courses you might consider taking, but there are many others available for this or other topics. Feel free to dig in and explore what Universal Class has to offer. The descriptions are shortened, but there is more detail at Universal Class.
- Cooking and Baking 101
- "The most important thing to take with you into the kitchen is a basic understanding of what to do and how to do it. This course is designed to give you just that. You will learn everything from what supplies you need for getting started to reading recipes and planning meals. You will be provided with a basic understanding of what it means to be in the kitchen and sources for additional information to foster a lifetime of culinary growth!"
- Introduction to Cake Decorating
- "Whether you're looking to start a cake decorating business or just make cakes for family and friends, Cake Decorating 101 will teach you all you need to know to turn out professionally decorated cakes. You'll develop techniques practiced by professional cake decorators such as applying buttercream icing, how to make a rose, level a cake, pour ganache and master a piping bag. From breath taking designs to whimsy, all the latest cake decorating trends are disclosed, with instructions and ideas about how to bake and decorate the darlings of the cake world, finger licking cupcakes."
- How to Bake Pies
- "The step-by-step instructions presented in this course are easy to follow and understand. Beginning with a brief history of the pie world, methods to prepare the pie crust- the base of the pie- are illustrated. The Pie crust recipe is followed by easy and delicious pie recipes that are categorized under Main dish pie, Sweet pie, Fruit pie, Holiday pie, Nut pie, Ice-cream pie, and Custard pie. This course will also include website resources that provide additional and exceptional varieties of pie recipe."
- Kitchen Sanitation 101
- "This online course will explain why and how bacteria transfers from one place to another, multiplies, and makes people sick. We'll also explain the best ways to prevent foodborne illness, including hand washing techniques, dishwashing practices, facility cleaning, best practices for storage, food handling, temperature monitoring, pest prevention, and managing relationships with the health department."
There are over 500 different courses available, and they are all free to Beauregard Parish Libary card holders. If these are not to your interest, log in to Universal Class. You're bound to find something you like!
If you need a reminder of how Universal Class works, please click this introductory post.